Commissioner Daniel Pearl
(516) 677-5848- Sanitation Collection
(516) 677-5745- Recycling Bins
(516) 755-1820- Old Bethpage Solid Waste Disposal Complex
The Department of Sanitary Collection Services picks up nearly 1,000 tons of garbage each collection day. This department also oversees the collection of recyclables and yard waste as well as the STOP and Homeowner’s Cleanup Programs at the Solid Waste Disposal Complex.
RULES & REGULATIONS
- Residents are requested to place their garbage curbside, NOT IN THE ROADWAY, in appropriate containers or plastic bags not earlier than 5 p.m. on the evening before their scheduled collection.
- The Town of Oyster Bay Sanitation Department does not service pails that are larger than 32 gallon in size, have attached lids, or that are designed for mechanical collection.
- Larger items that can be broken down, such as carpets, sheetrock and lumber, should be securely tied in bundles not exceeding 50 pounds and measuring no more than four feet in any direction and put out on any collection day.
- A total of 10 items, not exceeding 200 pounds in all, may be placed at the curb on any one collection day.
There is NO Sanitation or Recycling Collection on the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Regular Sanitation and Recycling collections are made on Lincoln’s Birthday, Washington’s Birthday, Columbus Day, Election Day, Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve.
- When a holiday falls on Monday, Monday collection will be made on Tuesday, and Tuesday collection will be made on Wednesday.
- When a holiday falls on Tuesday, Tuesday collection will be made on Wednesday.
- When a holiday falls on Thursday, Thursday collection will be made on Friday, and Friday collection will be made on Saturday.
- When a holiday falls on Friday, ALL collections will be made on Saturday.
Three large items such as refrigerators, air conditioners or large pieces of furniture may be placed at curbside on any collection day. Doors should be removed from refrigerators and freezers.
Yard waste consists of grass clippings, weeds, leaves, tree trimmings/branches/twigs, hedge and shrub clippings, small roots, other garden/yard waste and Christmas trees. Call the Sanitation Department for your yard waste collection schedule (516) 677-5848.