Sanitation > RECYCLING S.O.R.T. PROGRAM
Recycling (S.O.R.T.) Program
Known as S.O.R.T (Separate Oyster Bay’s Recyclables Today), the Town’s recycling program began as a pilot project in 1987. This program currently services over 80,000 homes within the Town of Oyster Bay Solid Waste Disposal District and the Villages of Farmingdale and Massapequa Park, as well as more than 1,100 businesses.
Residents are issued a yellow S.O.R.T container. Various plastic materials, metal containers and glass can be placed inside. Please call (516) 677-5745 to request a new bin.
Beginning in January 2023, glass recycling returns to the Town of Oyster Bay Recycling Program!
- All hard plastics labeled #1-7 are recyclable in your yellow pail
- Rinsed rigid plastic bottles, jars, jugs, Tupperware
- Laundry and soap containers, food containers, salad bottles, ketchup bottle
DO NOT RECYCLE
- NO plastic bags or dry cleaning bags
- NO plastic utensils or straws
- NO plastic chairs
- NO plastic toys
- Aluminum, tin, steel
- Rinsed beverage and food cans, aluminum foil and pans and empty aerosol cans
DO NOT RECYCLE
- NO cans of paint
- NO bed frames
- NO long poles
**For pickup, cardboard should be broken down and bundled, brown bagged, or placed in a single box with paper beside your recycling bin.**
- Paperback books (hardcover books should have covers removed)
- Includes newspapers, catalogs, phone books, and mail
- Larger cardboard can be broken down to 4 feet lengths and tied next to pail
- Includes egg cartons (no Styrofoam) and cereal boxes
- PLEASE remove all packing material, foam peanuts and bubble wrap from cardboard (these materials are not recyclable)
- PLEASE remove all plastic bags. This causes the automated sorting system to fail, shredded paper accepted in paper bags and boxes
DO NOT RECYCLE
- NO STYROFOAM OF ANY KIND
- NO waxed paper
- NO coated paper containers, including milk containers (plastic jugs okay)
- NO food contaminated containers, including pizza boxes
There is no Recycling collection on the following holidays (when they fall on a regular collection day): New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- When a holiday falls on Monday, Monday collection will be made on Tuesday, and Tuesday collection will be made on Wednesday.
- When a holiday falls on Tuesday, Tuesday collection will be made on Wednesday.
- When a holiday falls on Thursday, Thursday collection will be made on Friday, and Friday collection will be made on Saturday.
- When a holiday falls on Friday, ALL collections will be made on Saturday.
- If one of the holidays listed above falls on Saturday, there will be normal collection on Friday.
- If one of the holidays listed above falls on Sunday, there will be normal collection on Sunday.
- Regular Recycling collection is made on Lincoln’s Birthday, Washington’s Birthday, Columbus Day, Election Day, Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve.