As part of the Town of Oyster Bay’s ongoing commitment to supporting and strengthening the local economy, the Town is pleased to serve as administrator of The Workforce Partnership, a consortium of local governments funded by the Federal Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act that provides valuable resources to both employers and job seekers.
The Workforce Partnership jointly operates Workforce New York Career Centers in Hicksville and Massapequa. The Career Centers help employers recruit and train employees that will help their business thrive and grow, as well as helping job seekers access employment opportunities. All services offered by the Centers are free. The Centers have resource rooms, which are equipped with state-of-the-art computer workstations complete with Microsoft software and Internet access. In addition, photocopiers, fax machines, resource materials, job listings, and telephones are available. The Centers provide resume and interview workshops and career counselors to guide you. Basic computer workshops are taught in modern computer labs on-site. In order to increase your marketability, you can update or acquire new computer skills at the Center.
Whether you are a business owner, or a job seeker looking for a job, or seeking to advance in your career, you can benefit from the wide array of assistance provided by the Career Centers.
As Oyster Bay Town Supervisor, I take great pride in the fact that our Town is among the finest places in which to live, work, and do business. By strengthening the local workforce, this system is playing a vital role in bolstering our region’s economic viability and ability to retain and attract jobs for our residents. I encourage you to call one of our Career Centers to make an appointment and learn more about these exceptional resources.
The Town of Oyster Bay— A Leader in Strengthening Our Local Work Force and Economy
The Town of Oyster Bay is the administrator of the Workforce Partnership, a consortium of local governments funded by the Federal Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act. The Workforce Partnership jointly operates Workforce New York Career Centers in Hicksville and Massapequa. The Hicksville Career center is located at 301 W. Old Country Road, Hicksville, NY in the NYS Department of Labor Building. The Massapequa Career Center is located at 977 Hicksville Road, Massapequa, NY in the Oyster Bay Town Hall South Building. Both centers offer a wealth of FREE resources to both job seekers and employers.
For Job Seekers
The Workforce New York Career Centers have resource rooms equipped with state-of-the-art computer workstations that contain Microsoft software and have Internet access. Fax machines, copiers, telephones, job listings, videos, and numerous periodicals are available to assist you. The rooms are user-friendly, and provide a professional environment away from home in which to conduct your job search. Knowledgeable and courteous staff are on hand to assist you.
In addition to the resource rooms, we have career specialists available to assess your background, help you identify transferable skills, answer questions and facilitate you with creating a job search plan. The centers offer various focus groups and seminars covering a wide variety of topics ranging from resume writing, interviewing, and job search techniques to transitional skills and stress management.
Computer skills are playing an ever-increasing role in the employability of workers. Many of today’s jobs require a working knowledge of the computer. The career centers provide workshops to assist you with acquiring and/or updating your computer skills. Computer workshops are conducted in modern labs on-site.
- Vocational and Skills Training – to start a new career or an upgrade in just about every field imaginable.
- Computer workstations with high-speed Internet access.
- Job-search workshops & Win Way Resume – available to assist you with creating a winning resume. Win Way allows you to select from thousands of customizable resumes for virtually every career and over 100,000 job-winning phrases.
- Job Banks – We maintain job listings for both private sector and civil service jobs. These listings are updated on a regular basis. Included in the listings are those for “America’s Job Bank” which is maintained by the New York State Department of Labor.
- Interview Preparation & Counseling – As a job seeking customer of the Workforce Partnership, you can have a Career Specialist assigned to assist you.
- Reference Materials – The Workforce Partnership maintains an ever-growing library of books, periodicals, and newspapers.
- Video Tape Library – For your individual use, the Centers have TV/VCR/DVD accommodations and a constantly expanding library of videos. Our video resources cover a wide variety of topics of interest for both the experienced and first-time job seeker.
- Phone Banks – Telephones are available for calling prospective employers anywhere in the continental United States.
- Use of Photocopiers, fax machines.
- Certifications in demand occupations – Such as: Health Occupations, Bio Technology, Technology, Construction Trades, Computer, Clerical, Business, Culinary Arts, Hospitality, Service Industries and Transportation.
Career Center staff can help employers recruit and train employees. The staff will screen candidates from a computerized job matching “Talent Bank”, provide assessment of the individuals, and arrange for you to interview those individuals who meet your requirements. Mini-job fairs may be arranged through the Business Services Unit. Salary reimbursement and other incentives may be provided in exchange for hiring and training new employees.
- Employee training grants – Salary reimbursement and other incentives may be provided in exchange for hiring and training new employees.
- Customized training may be available to upgrade existing employee skills.
- Vocational and skills training – including Certifications in Demand Occupations.
- Screening and referral of qualified applicants to address your staffing needs.
- Labor market information.
- Free use of our Career Centers’ conference rooms and office facilities – conduct recruiting, interviewing and other staffing functions. Business will be provided with the facilities, equipment and personnel support too!
- Register your available job openings with us – we have many qualified candidates.
- Access to job seekers who have been trained at local schools in a variety of state-of-the-art occupational areas.
- The opportunity to consult with a Business Services Specialist to discuss strategies and develop business solutions.
- The most up to date information regarding funding opportunities and other resources available to business through the Long Island Regional Business Services Team of the New York State Department of Labor.
For more information on services provided by the Workforce Partnership click here. To contact the Hicksville Career Center call (516) 934-8532. For the Massapequa Career Center call (516) 797-4560.