Please note that all photos are copyrighted or owned by the agencies or societies listed in the photo captions and can only be used with their written permission.

Historical-MassapequaSchool

Massapequa School, shown here circa 1913-14, was located on present day Park Boulevard in Massapequa (known then as Wurtemberg Road or School House Road). – Photo provided by the Historical Society of the Massapequas

Historical-DavidJones

Built in 1770 by David Jones, Tryon Hall was renamed Fort Neck House at the close of the Revolutionary War. The first manor house along Merrick Road in Massapequa, it was known as a refugee house during the war, as some leaning toward British rule sought safety there. It stood just west of what is now the site of Massapequa High School on Merrick Road. -Photo provided by the Historical Society of the Massapequas

Historical-bayville

The Bayville Casino, shown here circa 1920, was built in 1913 by Zebelon Wilson, Sr., on Bayville Avenue, across the street from present-day Ransom Beach. There was not any gambling at the establishment, but rather bowling in the basement, a restaurant on the first floor, and dancing on the second floor. It burned down in 1923. -Photo provided by Long Island Studies Institute, Nassau County Museum Collection, Hofstra University Special Collections

Historical-quaker

Quaker Meeting House, Piping Rock Road, Locust Valley, circa 1890s. This house of worship for the Matinecock Monthly Meeting of the Society of Friends was built in 1725 and was rebuilt following a fire in 1986. Matinecock Monthly Meeting, organized in the 1660s, is the oldest continuous meeting of the Society of Friends in the United States. -Photo provided by Long Island Studies Institute, Nassau County Museum Collection, Hofstra University Special Collections

Historical-hicksville

The Hicksville Triangle, pictured circa 1900, looking south at the junction of Jerusalem Avenue, Broadway, and John Street, is the site of the present-day John F. Kennedy Memorial Park. -Photo provided by Long Island Studies Institute, Nassau County Museum Collection, Hofstra University Special Collections

Historical-HorseCarriage

A Horse and Carriage Ride at the Massapequa Hotel, circa 1890’s. The Massapequa Hotel was located on Ocean Avenue between Berkeley and Cornelius Places. -Photo provided by Long Island Studies Institute, Nassau County Museum Collection, Hofstra University Special Collections

Historical-SeaCliff

The Sea Cliff Idlewilds, 1912 Nassau County Baseball Champions. -Photo provided by Long Island Studies Institute, Nassau County Museum Collection, Hofstra University Special Collections

Historical-Farmingdale

Farmingdale’s agricultural roots are reflected in this circa 1940 scene looking north on Merritt Road near the intersection of Conklin Street (Hempstead Turnpike). The LIRR Central Branch crossing is in the foreground, and that of the Main Line is north of the intersection. Farmingdale Feed Co. is also seen at the northeast corner of this intersection.

Historical-Layton

The Layton Store and House, circa 1870. John M. Layton (pictured holding rifle) built this general store in 1866 near the intersection of present-day Routes 25A and 106 in East Norwich. The structure was moved to Old Bethpage Village Restoration in 1966. -Photo provided by Long Island Studies Institute, Nassau County Museum Collection, Hofstra University Special Collections

Historical-PlainviewFD

First Plainview Fire Department Parade, Labor Day, 1927. -Photo provided by the Plainview-Old Bethpage Public Library Local History Collection

Historical-Matinecock

Matinecock Lodge, West Main Street, Oyster Bay, as it appeared when built in 1901. It was originally a hotel, the Townsend Inn. This landmark building burned down in October, 2003. -Photo from the Collection of John Hammond

Historical-SyossetRR

Syosset Railroad Station, circa 1911. -Photo provided by the Syosset Public Library

Historical-carriagetravels

A carriage travels Shore Road from Bayville to Oyster Bay ca. 1910. – Photo provided by the Nassau County Museum, Long Island Studies

Historical-GAVanSise

The G.A. Van Sise Store in Syosset, ca. 1900, located on Berry Hill Road north of the fork with Split Rock Road, also housed the Syosset Post Office. Photo provided by the Syosset Public Library and the Nassau County Museum, Long Island Studies

Historical-MassapequaPostOffice

The Massapequa Post Office and general store, ca. 1908, was located at the junction of Central Avenue and Broadway. Photo provided by the Nassau County Museum, Long Island Studies

Historical-GeorgeRobertson

George Robertson, winner of the 1908 Vanderbilt Cup Race, approaches the famous turn at Jericho. Photo provided by the Nassau County Museum, Long Island Studies

Historical-LIRROysterBay

The Long Island Rail Road station in Oyster Bay hamlet, ca. 1910. Photo provided by the Nassau County Museum, Long Island Studies

Historical-BethpageFD

The Central Park (now Bethpage) Fire Department with its new motorized fire engine in front of the fire house on Stewart Avenue opposite Kearney Avenue ca. 1920. Photo provided by the Nassau County Museum, Long Island Studies

Historical-TappenBeach

Bathers on what is now Tappen Beach, Glenwood Landing, ca. 1910. Photo provided by the Nassau County Museum, Long Island Studies

Historical-ConklinFarmingdale

Looking north from the northwest corner of Main and Conklin Streets, Farmingdale, ca. 1910. Photo provided by the Nassau County Museum, Long Island Studies

Historical-HicksvilleTrolly

The Hicksville trolley on Broadway north of the railroad tracks ca. 1910. Photo provided by the Nassau County Museum, Long Island Studies

Historical-MassapequaHotel

The Massapequa Hotel, Ocean Avenue between Berkeley & Cornelius Places, ca. 1910. Photo provided by the Nassau County Museum, Long Island Studies

Historical-TRoosevelt

President Theodore Roosevelt leaving Oyster Bay, circa August 1912. Photo provided David Morrison