Oyster Bay Town Supervisor Joseph Saladino today announced that the registration period for Winter 2019 activities has begun for the Group Activities Program (GAP). The GAP Winter 2019 programs begin in January and run through March 2019. The GAP program, which is administered through the Town’s Department of Community and Youth Services, provides a unique social-recreational experience for developmentally-disabled children and adults.
“The Town of Oyster Bay is proud to offer these wonderful activities, entertainment and monthly trips,” stated Supervisor Saladino. “These programs provide group interaction and offer both children and adults a wonderful opportunity to form friendships that last a lifetime.”
Winter 2019 Programs are as follows:
- Monday Bowling – This program is for participants aged 5 through adult and will take place at Farmingdale Lanes (999 Conklin Street, Farmingdale, NY 11735) from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm.
- Tuesday Evening Program – offered to the GAP adult participants aged 21+ and includes weekly themes or special events, arts and crafts, board games, Wii and cooking. Program runs from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm and is held at the North Massapequa Community Center (214 N. Albany Ave, Massapequa, NY 11758) and the Syosset-Woodbury Community Center (7800 Jericho Turnpike, Woodbury, NY 11797).
- Wednesday Drama Club – for participants aged 16 and older who are interested in theater and acting. The program runs from 7 pm to 9 pm and all participants will meet directly at the North Massapequa Community Center.
- Friday Evening Program – for participants who are aged 16+ and includes weekly themes or special events, arts and crafts, board games, and cooking. The program runs from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm and is held at the North Massapequa Community Center and the Syosset-Woodbury Community Center.
- Friday Evening Respite Program for Children – for children ages 5-20 years old, and includes activities such as arts and crats, music, cooking, and trips. The program runs from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm and is held at the North Massapequa Community Center and the Syosset-Woodbury Community Center.
- Saturday Day Programs- This program consists of trips and bowling on various Saturdays throughout the month, and is for participants 5 years old and above. Times vary, and further information will follow.
- Saturday Swim Program- This group meets once a week on Saturdays at Plainview JFK High School (Kennedy Drive, Plainview NY 11803) from 12:30 pm to 2 pm. Please note, this is not an instructional swim program.
- Saturday Evening Respite Program– The program is split for participants depending on age, with a program for ages 5-15 running from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm, and a program for 16 years old and above running from 6:30 pm to 9 pm. Both programs are held at the North Massapequa Community Center and the Syosset-Woodbury Community Center and include arts and crafts, movies, board games, and special events.
Response forms for activities are due by Friday, December 28th. In addition to these ongoing programs, GAP is pleased to offer special Saturday day trips. For more information, to register your child, or obtain additional information pertaining to GAP programs, please contact Program Director Mary E. Hurst at (516) 797-7948 or visit www.oysterbaytown.com.