Below are important phone numbers, Web links and American Red Cross tips regarding preparedness that will be helpful during an emergency, attack or disaster.
Town of Oyster Bay Phone Numbers
- In the event of an emergency call 911
- To contact the Oyster Bay Town Supervisor, please call (516) 624-6350
- To contact the Town of Oyster Bay after-hours, please call the Town’s 24-hour Operations Center at (516) 677-5757
Police, Fire Department, Hospital & School Information
- Nassau County Police Precincts
- Town of Oyster Bay Fire Departments and Companies
- School Districts
Homeland Security Web Links
- United States Department of Homeland Security
- New York State Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Nassau County Office of Emergency Management
American Red Cross Guidelines to Help Prepare in the Event of a Disaster
- Develop a plan and location to contact family members if you’re not together when an emergency happens. Be sure every member of your family knows an out-of-state contact number and has coins or a prepaid phone card to call the emergency contact.
- Familiarize yourself with the disasters that may affect your area. Possible concerns include man-made disasters, hurricanes, and house fires.
- Talk to your neighbors about how you can work together during an emergency. Find out whether anyone has specialized equipment like a power generator or expertise such as medical knowledge. 4. Decide on who will check on elderly or disabled neighbors.5. Prepare a plan that provides for every person or pet for which you are responsible.6. Make copies of important personal and business papers and store them in a safe, alternate location.
- Assemble and maintain a family disaster supplies kit (see below).
How to Build a Kit
Whether evacuating or sheltering in place, a disaster supplies kit can save lives. The contents should be placed in an easy-to-carry container such as a large backpack, duffel bag or plastic bin. It is important to pack enough water (one gallon per person per day), non-perishable food items, eating utensils, a manual can opener, flashlight, radio, extra batteries, at least one change of clothes, special items such as medications, eyeglasses, diapers, infant formula, etc.
Help by Giving Blood
In the event of an attack or an emergency, it will be critical to have adequate blood supplies on hand. To donate blood locally, call Long Island Blood Services at 1-800-933-BLOOD (2566).
American Red Cross in Nassau County – The Red Cross has many resources to help families, communities, and businesses prepare for disaster. In Nassau County, the American Red Cross is located at 195 Willis Avenue in Mineola and can be reached at (516) 747-3500. Or visit them on the Web at http://www.redcross.org/ny/mineola