The Town of Oyster Bay has a significant number of veterans living in its communities. Although there are numerous agencies on other levels of government dedicated to serving veterans, navigating the bureaucratic maze can be overwhelming. The Division of Veterans Services, located in Town Hall South, 977 Hicksville Road, Massapequa offers assistance to veterans and their families who require guidance in matters relating to military service and securing benefits earned through military service. The division serves as an information center to keep veterans apprised of benefits as a result of:
- Exposure to Ionizing Radiation from nuclear device detonation, nose and throat radium irradiation treatment, and service at radiation risk activities;
- Exposure to dioxin or other toxic substances in herbicides or defoliants such as Agent Orange;
- Exposure resulting from service in the Gulf War, and Operations Desert Shield, Desert Storm, Iraqi Freedom, New Dawn;
- Exposure to Depleted Uranium due to service in the Gulf War, Bosnia, and Operations Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, New Dawn;
- Exposure to Toxic Embedded Fragments due to service in Operations Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, New Dawn, and;
- Addiction Counseling, Bereavement Counseling, Children’s Services, Educational Services, Emergency Care, Employment Training, Family Support, Housing, Military Sexual Trauma, Nursing Home and Adult Day Care, Social Security Issues, Traumatic Brain Injury and other veteran-specific services.
- Exposed to drinking water contaminated with industrial chemicals while serving in Camp Lejeune, N.C.
In addition, the Division coordinates activities of other Town agencies regarding veterans’ services and provides recommendations to the Town Board on how the Town might better serve the veteran community.
Veterans Advisory Council
The Town Veterans Advisory Council (TVAC) was formed in 2001 to focus on a wide range of veterans issues and establish a network of communication between the veteran community throughout the Town of Oyster Bay and the Office of the Supervisor. [Read More]